Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too? This cake is packed with protein and the perfect recipe for using up those apples from the orchard. If you’re not feeling fancy, you can swap a round pan for a loaf pan or make into cupcakes. Either way you’ll love the warm spice, cool cream cheese frosting and sweet crunchy apple in this amazing cake.
- 1 T. (14g) coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup (120g) unsweetened apple sauce
- 120g apple chunks, diced and peeled
- 2 T. no-calorie sweetener, like Splenda
- ¼ tsp each: baking soda, baking powder, salt
- ½ tsp. apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 40g paleo flour (may substitute almond or coconut flour)
- 2 scoops (68g) Core Nutritionals MRP Apple Crumb Cake
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a microwave safe bowl, mix coconut oil in 15-30 second bursts stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla, egg, applesauce and apple chunks. Mix in all dry ingredients until just combined. Lightly spray a 6” round pan with non-stick spray. (You can substitute a square pan or muffin tins, but baking time will vary). Pour batter in pan (approximately 400g batter). Bake 25-28 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. While cake is baking, prepare frosting. Let cake cool then using a serrated knife slice horizontally across for 2 cake slices.
- ½ cup (120g) vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 oz. (56g) light cream cheese
- 20g Core Nutritionals PRO vanilla crème
- 80g apple chunks, diced and peeled
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. To assemble cake, place half (approximately 110g) frosting on top of one cake layer spreading smooth. Place second cake layer on top and spread. Place apple chunks in the middle and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and store remaining pieces in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: ¼ cake with frosting
- 17.2g Protein
- 26.6g Carbs
- 10.6g Fat
- Recipe makes 1 – 6” round cake